Monday, November 23, 2009

Grappling

Intro
I haven’t posted here in awhile since the past 4 weeks have been a bit tough. About 6 weeks ago I developed severe Plantar Fasciitis in my right foot, pushing off from my right foot was very painful making footwork, punching the bag or mitts and even walking out of the question for a while.
After an injection in my heel about 4 weeks ago and now taking a course of prednisone it is finally calming down to where I’m not so limited in my training. But, I’m still trying to limit any push off with my right foot so it can heal and I can train the way I want to. It has been a challenge to keep training but I’ve kept up with the things I can do and focused on them.
Due to my foot problems I changed the usual focus of our workouts today to concentrate on some wrestling fundamentals. We pulled out the matt’s and below is what we did. Hope you like it.
Roll Call:
Tony and Mike
Warm-up:
3 rounds – 10 pull-ups, 3 ring dips, hip stretch, 10 GHD sit-ups, 10 back (hip) extensions
Matt work (2min/1min each)
  • Knee running (forward, back then side to side)
  • Sit-out (from quarter position – alternating legs)
  • From knees to butterfly guard and back to knees – alternating sides
  • Mount escape across matt (hip slide out) – 2 rounds
Basic Pummeling (2 minute rounds - over and under hook – rest round on speed bag)
  • 2 Round Robin circuits
Defense Circuit 2min/30sec (2 circuits – 1 circuit each lead)
  • Maize ball
  • Rope line
  • Shadow Boxing hands
Finisher (3 circuits of 45sec rounds no rest)
  • 20lb squat clean (with medicine ball)
  • Pushup crawl across gym
  • Push out with rings (like ab wheel but with rings)
  • Rope climb (from sitting, feet out, to standing)
Closing thoughts
Injuries can happen any time and frequently they happen when you are most motivated. When they happen it’s not a time to stop training but to change your training. Injuries can prevent you from training how you like to but we all need to strive to adapt when they happen. Frequently injuries allow us to focus on our weak areas, right now for me that means ground work. In the past I’ve had other injuries that have forced me to change my training.
One injury in particular was breaking my right hand in practice on the punching bag (I wish I could dress it up and say it was in the ring but it wasn’t). After getting the bone set and a cast put on I kept up training one handed – heavy bag, speed bag, mitt work, and even limited sparing. The same thing happened a number of years later except instead of a fracture I blew out a disc in my neck and couldn’t use my right arm for about 6 months. Again I did what I could, that time focusing on my left arm and kicking skills.
The lesson is to keep working, sure you can’t do the things the same when you are injured but if you think and work at it you can find things you can do a be more rounded when you have recovered from you injury.Keep moving and stay healthy – and if you have an injury find a way to move and to help yourself to get healthy.

No comments: